J. Michael Weston
Deacon, Catholic Diocese of Dallas, 2002
AREAS OF PRACTICE
- Trials involving disputes between businesses – Commercial litigation – in Texas and Federal Courts including, but not limited to, the following:
- Appellate – Federal and State Civil Appeals
- Aviation Law (non-tort)
- Breach of Contract
- Breach of Fiduciary Duties
- Collections – Commercial
- Fraud, Business, Securities, Real Estate, Common Law
- Municipal Law
- Qui Tam (False Claims)
- Real Estate
- Water flow – diversion, excess flow, erosion and other issues
- 95% of Practice Devoted to Litigation
- Supreme Court of Texas
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals 5th Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals 9th Circuit
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Texas
- Southern Methodist University School of Law, Dallas, Texas
- J.D. – 1975
- Rice University, Houston, Texas
- B.A. – 1972
- Major: History
- “Vertical Distribution Restraints and the Texas Antitrust Law”, 37 Southwestern Law Journal 601, 1983
- “Extraordinary Remedies and Criminal Contempt”, The Advocate, State Bar Litigation Section Report, Vol. 7, No. 3, p. 22, 1988
- Co-Author, “A Trial Lawyer’s Guide To The Federal Antitrust Laws”, 45 Texas Bar Journal 1286, 1982
- Whether the structure of a limited liability company can restrict a creditor’s right to claim debtor’s ownership interest in limited liability company.
- The legality of the operation of airlines frequent flyer programs.
- The scope of non-compete agreements.
- Fraud in the sale of a business.
- Removal of state court actions to bankruptcy court where one defendant declares bankruptcy.
- The meaning of a triple net real estate lease after the term of the lease.
- The requirements imposed on a lender in the foreclosure of real estate and other liens.
- Landslides adjacent to a city owned creek.
- Diversion of water.
- Real estate Fraud
- Municipal Boundaries
PROFESSIONAL ASSOCIATIONS AND MEMBERSHIP
- State Bar of Texas, Member, Litigation Section