Importing & Exporting Judgments

Did you know you can import a judgment from another state (and sometimes from other countries) into Texas as if the judgment had originally been made in Texas? Lawyers and courts in Texas refer to this as domesticating a foreign judgment.

You can also export a judgment from Texas to other states (and sometimes to other countries). Lawyers and courts in other states refer to this as domesticating a foreign judgment or registering a Foreign Judgment.

Most states in the United States have enacted what is called the Uniform Enforcement of Foreign Judgments Act; however there are some differences from state to state.

Importing and exporting judgments, in theory, is a simple act that can be done without the assistance of a law firm, however frequently court clerks from both states involved do not fully understand the process. These pitfalls can trip up and delay someone holding a judgment that wants to collect before the debtor disappears or blows their funds.

If you need assistance importing a judgment to Texas or exporting a Texas judgment to another state or country, or are interested in finding out about one of our other practice areas, we invite you to contact our office to schedule an appointment with a member of our well-qualified staff.

2018-08-02T11:57:05-05:00May 4th, 2017|Appeals, Business Litigation, Civil Litigation|
We use cookies and other tracking technologies to improve your browsing experience on our website, to show you personalized content and targeted ads, to analyze our website traffic, and to understand where our visitors are coming from. By browsing our website, you consent to our use of cookies and other tracking technologies. Ok